Friday, December 4, 2009

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

As I have sat here in the passenger seat of the car most of the day today, I have had many hours to think. So think I have done, and what better thing to do with all those thoughts then impart some wisdom with them. Or at least release the thoughts even if they aren't really wisdom.

We left the house this morning at 7:00am heading from Missouri to Austin Texas. It is now 3:00pm and we are still hours away from landing at the hotel. So I have a little time to just put words on paper.... or blog, if you will.

As my husband drives along and gets almost run over by a passing car in a hurry, I am reminded of how easy it would be for life to end. Here we are in a speeding car, only inches away from other cars speeding along in the other direction, towards me. All it would take is a careless or reckless driver to make a mistake near us for life as we know it to change drastically.

Every day, every hour, no, every second could be our last but do we really get the reality of that? Do we really live as if this could be our last day or our last hour on this earth?

I would have to answer, NO. I do not live as if this was my last moment on earth. If I did, I would do things much differently. I would take advantage of each moment to do those things that mean something. I would put my importance on people not things or circumstance. I would do those things that impact another life first, not secondary.

Maybe thats what Jesus meant when he told the disciples that the most important commandment was love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. Then the second was love others as yourself. He got the importance of relationship. He got that the most important thing you can do is love like God does. He knew when we focused on loving like Him, the other commandments would be obeyed. He knew we would obey because we loved Him and our hearts were right.

We don't seem to get that all things lead back to relationship. It is in the relationship with Jesus that we are saved. It is in the relationship with Jesus we are made right and can stand before a righteous God. It's in our relationship with Jesus that we can now have a relationship with the Father. It is in our relationship with Jesus that we can love others, care for those hurting and make a real difference in the world.

As I sit here and ponder that any moment could be the end, I think, I'm not ready. I'm not done. I need to love some more. I need to touch more hearts. I need to get my hands dirty and let the fallout come. I need to love with no reservation.

Lord,

When you take me home, let it be when I have done all that I can do to love this broken world. Help me love those around me. Don't let me forget that each moment counts. Let my contribution to this world point clearly to you.

Amen

No comments: