Friday, June 5, 2009

Life can Change in an Instant

Life can change in an instant. One moment your smiling and laughing, bad news comes and suddenly everything has changed.

I remember a moment for me that happened several years ago. My husband and I were driving through the carwash, getting ready to leave town for a weekend of fun at the lake, when my cell phone rang. It was a police sergeant asking that I come to my mother’s house.

This was the day I found out my brother had committed suicide. My life as I knew it changed that day. Relating to my family changed and holidays would never be the same again. A day wouldn’t go by from that day on that I wouldn’t think of him.

You never know what is around the corner or what tomorrow will bring. Sometimes it’s a trial that leads to heartache, other times it’s a joy that makes your heart sore.

In the same week, last week, we were told that we had another grandchild on the way and that our Pastor of ten years is leaving. Joy filled my heart for the change and addition to the family while sadness overcame me to lose someone so important.

God is at work and sending our Pastor to the mission field to do mighty things. Here on the home front it will change, but is that all bad? I would say, not necessarily. Although change can be difficult to go through and sometimes even heartbreaking, if it’s creating in us the character of Christ we are better off in the long run.

I have seen sadness that brought me to my knees and I've also seen joy that made me sore to heights unknown. What I have learned is to hold all that I have loosely and find my happiness in what is to come.

In a world where everything can change and nothing is for certain, there is still one thing that never changes. Our God never changes and his promise of a future is assured. It is the one thing we can rest our hat on and know that will stand the test of time.

So, I say we put our trust where it belongs, in the one true God and look with hearts of hope to the day that is promised. I say we look forward to each day saying "Come Lord Jesus, Come!"

5 comments:

Carol said...

I couldn't have said it better, whether good or bad I try, and try is the operative word here, put it in Gods hands. When I succeed at doing so life goes relativily good. But when I try to take it back I fail to handle it well. Thanks for the post.

LisaShaw said...

I have to say sister that as one who buried my own brother to death by his own hand in 1994, every breath I took during that incredible time of grieving had to be taken in the presence of God where I could ONLY find peace as I trusted Him completely.

Your sharing touched my heart deeply...I pray blessings over your entire family as you go through the good and at times difficult changes and may you go through it all with GOD as your Refuge and your GRACE!



I had also come by to say I have a giveaway going on my FIT blog if you're interested. Love you.

duopastorale said...

Amen! I am constantly amazed how God can bring good out of what is such a difficult situation. He is a master at that!

Joy said...

Thank God for his grace and provision during those difficult times. Knowing He is always there helps us through. I don't know how people can go thru life without God.


Joy

Unknown said...

Great post...I know exactly what you're talking about. Thanks for sharing. And congrats on the new addition!