Sunday, October 18, 2009

Why does marriage have to be so hard?

It's late and as I sit here tonight my mind is full of whirling thoughts. Mostly about marriage and what the world sets you up for. As a small girl, we each spend odles of time playing wedding, house and dress up. We put on the veil and pretend to walk the isle. Dreaming of that day when our prince will sweep us off our feet and we will live happily ever after.

I don't know about anyone else, but I carried that dream around with me into adulthood until the wedding day finally materialized. What everyone forgot to tell me was how hard it would be at times.

Don't get me wrong, I love my husband. But marriage is much harder than I ever anticipated. We are at year five and all pretence is gone and the blinders are off. We see each others faults very clearly. Probably way more clearly than we should.

Sometimes, I am just exhausted by trying so hard. Anyone been where I'm at?

7 comments:

Sue said...

Yes. Right now. Right this very moment.

Me reading your post couldn't have been timed better.

:(

Tammy said...

I was tired for the first twelve years of my marriage. This was my second because my first one failed after ten years.

My husband and I have been marriage for 22 years. What I've learned is that when you become exhausted and those "ugly" times come to the surface remember your covenant with God.

Love and Hugs~Tammy
p.s. Our marriage was a mess.

Michael said...

I am not married, but I know that if God created man and women to be married, the devil will do what he can to destroy it. Keep God first in your marriage no matter how hard or easy it seems.

Michael said...

I am not yet married, but I know that my parents have been married for 26 years and they love each other very much. Both my parents keep God first in our home and no matter what we know He loves us, through good times, and bad. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart," (Proverbs 3:5).

April Lorier said...

Sherri, it seems that marriage REALLY gets gnarly after the 25 year mark. I have noticed that more and more couples are divorcing around the 26-28 year mark. Sad.

KingsKid777 said...

Unfortunately I think that April is correct... Lets join in prayer for God to get involved in this matter...

Dear Father I pray in the Name of Jesus, Thank you for this day and all of our blessings. Thank you for being in my life and giving me the opportunity to pray for someone else today. Today I pray for the marriage between ______________ & _____________ (you fill in the blanks). Please be with them and strengthen their marriage. Please cause them to always keep You first in their marriage and in their family. Whenever they are in trial period, help them through it and to make the correct decision. Your will be done. In Jesus' Name I pray, AMEN! Glory to you O'God! Thank you Jesus!!

Mellie333 said...

Marriage is putting together two people and Jesus makes you one. It is hard when you don't have Jesus as the center of your lives. You are two persons, but you seems to go your own way. You both need to have Jesus in your heart and be together in your thoughts and your actions.

You both need to bend. I have been married over fifty years and we still love each other and we still do things together. May God bless you both.