Friday, November 14, 2008

Love is Patient....What?

Everyone needs a little down time. Time to rest, meditate and refresh. That was my day yesterday.

While I was spending time in reading, God was really speaking to me about the whole concept of love. I realized at that point he was beginning to answer my prayer from Wednesday. I had prayed He would put His kind of love for others in my heart.

I began to think on the scriptures in 1 Corinthians 13 where the bible describes the attributes of love. Love is patient, love is kind..... I had to stop right there. I realized that these two attributes are the pillars that are the foundation of love. God spoke to my heart.... work on these first.

The kindness I have covered, already working on that one. Not a problem! But the patience.... What does that look like? Had to look that up in the brand new book I bought call "The Love Dare"

Here is the interpretation of patience: It respond in a positive way to a negative situation. It is slow to anger. It extends mercy to those around them. Patience brings an internal calm during an external storm. It doesn't rush to judgement but listens to what the other person is saying. It understands that everyone fails. When a mistake is made, it chooses to give them more time than they deserve to correct it.

More time than they deserve to correct it? WHAO! It hit me... I am really going to have to make a determined, deliberate effort to change if I want that kind of love in me. I am going to have to be intentional in my actions to have that kind of patience.

So how do I practice patience? Lets see....

Be slow to anger.... OK, so when someone says something I do not like, I will need to step back and keep my mouth shut. Maybe say a prayer for help! Slow to anger might mean, slow to respond, to give myself time to adjust my natural reaction. Time to think and respond like Christ. Time to ask for a heart change.

Have mercy! I can tell already this is not going to be easy. I'm gonna need some prayers for this one!

Its a good thing I don't have to do it alone.

1 Corinthians 13: 4-8 - Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

2 comments:

Tatum Reid said...

Hi Sheri

Col 4:17

All best.

Sherri Watt said...

Thanks for the scripture Tatum. God Bless you too!!!